Monday, June 20, 2005

Reflections

After a week, here are some reflections:

  • Celebrating a birthday, having calling hours, and burying a relative in a 36-48-hour span is quite difficult on the emotions. It's hard to keep everything in perspective sometimes. It was nice to see a lot of my family members that I might not otherwise have seen, but it's never fun to realize the reason for which you're getting to see everyone. The service was very nice, and I got to see a lot of pictures and effects of my grandmother as a younger woman. It was clear from all that I saw, heard, and read that she had lived an amazing life, had impacted a great number of people, and was generally loved and respected by essentially everyone. That brought a smile to my face in the end.

  • Building a deck is hard fucking work! What a father's day weekend: my step-father and I began building a 16' x 20' deck in my back yard. What fun! I hope to snap and post some pictures of the building in process. This weekend allowed us to drill 9 36"-deep post holes (7 with a 2-person post-hole digger, 2 BY HAND--OUCH), set 7 posts, use those posts to frame the first 16' x 16' section (the other 8 feet are cut out around part of the house) and set a cross beam. We rule so much that everything is square, level, and the deck is perfectly square (16' across both directions). Granted, I can barely move my arms and legs this morning, but as it takes shape in the back yard, I get more and more excited for its completion.

  • Planning a wedding is the most insanse thing. It's a wonder to me why more people don't elope. And, I'm not even the one doing the lion's share of the work! I can't wait to actually get married, if for no other reason than the madness will stop!

  • The Cleveland Indians: if you looked up "on fire" in the dictionary, there would be a picture of this team. Seemingly left for dead at 25-29 after starting a road trip 1-4 against the two teams ahead of them, they've rattled off 12 wins in 13 games, including their current 9-game winning streak that involves the sweeping of three separate teams. Now at 37-30, they are one game behind the current Wild Card leaders in the AL... a lot can change in two weeks, especially when you go 12-1 over a 15-day span. They get a true test when the World Champion Red Sox (whom I fucking hate with a vile passion reserved for a select few things in this world) come to town. If they can take 2 of 3 from the Sox, things will get interesting: cue Morpheus from Matrix 1: "He's beginning to believe."


Other than that, not much is going on (ha!). Melissa's birthday was yesterday; we had a nice dinner, and despite all of the traveling and home construction of this past week, I managed to come through with some gifts yesterday.

I'm looking forward to getting my back yard cleaned up, spending some time at home with my sweetie, practicing with my band again (it's been a LONG time!), and the impending arrival of my brother and best friend this Friday for, as my brother has dubbed it, "The Weekend of the Dan" (read: de facto bachelor party). He and I will be playing 9 holes (hopefully) at the airport course on Friday between his flight's arrival and Jason's flight's arrival, a group of us will be playing 18 holes on Saturday morning, followed by a small Texas Hold 'Em tournament. To quote my brother: "Post-golf shall follow the previously stipulated informal progression of bacheloresque comsumables and activities."

I can only imagine.

No comments: