Thursday, June 09, 2005

DMB Final Score Card

Remember all of that drivel about anxiety I wrote yesterday?

I'm such a cry-baby.

Here's your final Dave Matthews Band, June 8th, 2005 Scorecard:

First Things First:
Number of Successful Grandma Colon Surgeries: ONE
Per my dad, Grandma came through her surgery well. While still drugged up, she was reportedly doing well. Her chance stomach discomfort had allowed them to find the tumor early. They were able to remove lymph tissue as well, which hopefully means there hasn't been any spreading. We won't know until about Monday whether the prognosis is excellent, but from the sounds of things, she cleared a major hurdle. Not bad for our little 90-year-old sparkplug!

Seats: Section F, Row BB, seats 18-19
Dead center, back of the pavilion. Although we were in the rain for the early parts of the show (why anyone would build a pavilion cover that doesn't actually cover all of the seats in said pavilion is beyond me), by the time DMB came on, it was mostly done. I was dry by the time I got to the car. The seats were perfect: great blend of all of the sounds, dead center of the pavilion.

Opening Act: Robert Randolph and the Family Band - A
These guys get very high marks. Imagine, if you will, a holy union between Phish and "Higher Ground"-era Stevie Wonder. Check these guys out. The energy they had was phenomenal.

DMB Setlist: B+
Way too many songs off of the new album (see previous post for my feelings), but thankfully the setlist was counter-balanced by a great dose of old favorites. Nothing off of the wretched Everyday album; TWO songs from Remember Two Things, including a 20+ minute version of "Seek Up" (that may have in fact caused me to cream my shorts) and "One Sweet World", a "#40" tease, a "#41" sighting (a favorite of mine thanks to the version I have on Listener Supported), "Lover Lay Down" (which is a favorite of my sweetie), "Crush", and the anthem "Warehouse" as a closer. Despite the fact that they played 8 songs from the new album (of which, 4 or 5 I could at least tolerate), all of these other treats more than made up for it. I'd always wanted to hear "#41" and "Seek Up" in a live setting, and never had.

Musicianship: Solid A
Though Dave's songwriting has suffered, the band's playing apparently is still as sharp as ever. They were tight; they jammed extensively; they soloed prolifically. As a drummer, Carter Beauford again reminded me that it really is his world: I'm just a squirrel tryin' to get a nut. You know how some lizards and birds have "autonomous" eyes, wherein each eye is completely detached from the other and can look in whichever direction it chooses? Carter's like that, with his arms and feet. When I play, I am predominantly right-handed, and my muscles have trained themselves to break down beats in only that way. Carter pretty much does whatever the hell he wants to with whichever arm and/or foot he chooses. It's almost like he's a cyborg with four autonomous limbs.
DMB stretched out the songs to the point that some of the short, uninspired fodder from the new album was actually almost decent. Robert Randolph (see above) played a mean steel guitar on two of those, and it almost made me forget that I hated those particular songs.

Contact Buzz: C+
There were some good puffs that came across my nose, but nothing to get excited about.

Butch Taylor Sightings: Many
Good old Busschhhh was in full force on the keys last night. He rocked "Seek Up" like he was there when they wrote it. It must be great to have DMB as your meal ticket, and be given free reign. Unless Carter Beauford gets hit by a bus and I suddenly become Jesus reincarnate on drums, I'll be relegated to dreaming.

Demographics: I'm old, but the joke's on the babies
Upon the start of the show, it made us feel really old. A lot of youngsters. However, the joke was on them when DMB played "One Sweet World" and "Seek Up" within close proximity of each other: all of those punks that were singing along and cheering loudest for the new stuff were 3 or 4 when that album came out and probably had no idea what songs they were. Put your "retro" John Deere trucker hat back on and take a seat, Mr. Abercrombie & Fitch.

Number of Cars Parked "Illegally" at BW3's: THREE
So, Melissa and I met another couple at BW3's (across the street from the amphitheater) for dinner prior to the show. Keep in mind, we were already gouged for parking when we bought the tickets (part of the "convenience" charge), AND we bought food and beverage at said BW3's. Yet, there were two of Columbus's finest patrolling the lot with a "no concert parking: towing enforced" sandwich sign set up. Like they don't have anything better to do?? I saved my receipts for dinner and drinks, just in case.....

Number of Cars Towed from BW3's: ZERO
Ha haaaaa! Suckers!

Number of Dookies Dropped in House by Dog Left Alone for 7+ Hours: ZERO
And really, isn't that what it's all about?


Final Grade for the Evening: Solid B+/A-

Now, if only I had any motivation to do *any* kind of meaningful work today...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Man,

Just wandered over here from the Ants board... saw you wrote a good review... DMB rocks, havent seen them in 2 years but over 100 times in my life, and im only 23... anyways man, maybe you'd dig on the music i make with 4 other great musicians. not jam band more like Jimmy Eat World meets Black Crowes and Incubus... well www.myspace.com/wokeupinvegas keep in touch, my AIM is chrisnathan41dmb too so cheers man!
Chris