Friday, June 10, 2005

Of Optimism and Being Grounded

It seems my overwhelming optimism of yesterday may have been premature.

I appears that my Grandma has taken a turn for the worse. Her actual surgery was fine and a success, but it was ironically enough the stopping of her medications in order to perform the surgery that may have contributed to this worsening of her condition.

At any rate, according to my father this morning, she will either recover fairly quickly now that they have her on a ventilator in ICU, or she will deteriorate fairly quickly as there isn't much else they can do for her.

Thankfully, I had already planned to go north to Vermilion to visit my dad this afternoon, so if nothing else I will get to see her one last time, even though that will mean essentially looking into an ICU room at an unconscious woman. Nevertheless, goodbyes are goodbyes. I'm hoping it won't be goodbye, but I'm preparing myself for it.

She's my last living grandparent, and I'm not sure yet how that would make me feel.

At any rate, I know basically no one reads this; but, if you happen to be here reading, please say a prayer (or whatever your spiritual modus operandi might be) for our family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading. I'm so sorry, sweetheart. Your grandmother is in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading. I'm so sorry, sweetheart. Your grandmother is in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

As someone who's gone to way too many ICU's lately, I certainly feel some measure of what you're going through, Dan, so please know that Liss and I are thinking of and praying for you and your family.