Friday, November 03, 2006

Some Thursday Night Observations

Some random notes after a crazy Thursday night:

  • Bowling three games after not having touched a bowling ball in six months hurts your fingers. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it only took me about six or seven frames to get my form back. At the end of the night, I bowled a 124, a 177, and a 147, bringing my average to 149, which is just under my end-of-league 150 average from last year.

  • After watching the West Virginia/Louisville game last night, I don't see how either of those teams could keep with with a Michigan or OSU. They don't play shit for defense, and UM and OSU both have great defenses. OSU and Michigan can both play some offense, too. It wouldn't even be close. If the OSU/UM winner plays Louisville in the national championship game, it's going to be a beat-down of Super Bowl XXIV proportions. I would take any of the 1-loss SEC teams or even Texas over Louisville right now.

  • I think I know why no Louisville QB from the last few years ever has success in the NFL (think: Chris Redman, Dave Raggone, etc.). It's because they show up to their first day of mini-camp, and the coach tells them, "Now, Dave, when you're reading the defense, the first thing you should see..." and the QB interrupts them with, "Wait, wait, wait.... what the hell is a 'defense'?" My buddy Wad said it best: "It was like watching a Madden game with real players."

  • I like Lost. I really do. And I know the actor that plays Eko wanted to be written off the show. But come on. Give me something I can use. These two new characters? Worthless and annoying! Ugh. There's a large part of me that's not sad this show is going on a break for half of the season. Right now, The Nine is more interesting to me.

  • What I do like? My Name is Earl and The Office. Two shows that are well-written, well-cast, and well-acted. Seriously, could they have found better people to play Earl, Randy, Joy, and Darnell than they found? Could anyone be Jim or Pam or Dwight better than those three people? These are my two favorite shows right now.

  • Heard the ~90% mix of the House of Cards album. There are a few tracks on there that are just unbelieveable, in my (obviously biased) opinion. Look for a CD in late November or early December.

The only other thing: Friday mornings suck when you don't go to bed until 1:30, but that's the price you pay, I guess.

2 comments:

larzdm said...

it seems like everyone i've talked to had the same opinion about the big east game... absolutely horrid defense and either team (lets throw in rutgers as well) would get killed by OSU/Mich/Wisky/any 1 loss SEC team/Texas but would be in a dogfight with Notre Dame.

if it isn't a ratings ploy, how the hell does Mark May say that based on that game, the Big East is the 2nd best conference in the country? i'll just assume it's because he played for one of those shitty schools.

DP said...

Well, now that USC finally lost, Mark May has to find some other unworthy jock to be on. Guess it's Louisville's now.