Monday, July 18, 2005

"I did nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."

Finally, a weekend in which neither Melissa nor I had anything to do, save a small party Saturday night at a couple-friend of ours' house (Is that correct grammar? I have no idea! Not good.). I had some friends over earlier on Saturday, and I think we played a grand total of about 25 collective hours of Playstation 2. God bless the 4-player multi-tap! 4-player video hockey has to be the coolest thing ever. Body checks were abundant.

I also discovered (read: was shown) a game called God of War (which I know a great many people have been raving about, but you have to remember: I'm at my busiest time of the work-year and we're planning a wedding), which may have shaken my faith that Grand Theft Auto was the most addictive game I've ever played. Needless to say, after 15 minutes of this game, I was like Homer Simpson eating a Rib-wich.

In other weekend-that-wasn't news, my team won our league's softball tournament, because neither of the two teams we were supposed to play showed up. Good times. No, wait. Bad times. I don't know. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

At any rate, the countdown is on: 18 days until the wedding! I can't wait! There are still a few loose ends (ha!) that need to be tied up before the wedding, but things are on course. I think we'll both be glad when it's over, just from the planning standpoint.

I recently revisted my office bookshelf and picked up and began re-reading After Henry, which was once used for a class I took in college. The first two pieces in the book are about politics, and focus on a) the Reagan administration, and b) the Dukakis/Bush election of 1988. Dated, yes. But, I'm finding them fairly poignant when compared with today's landscape. In the campaign piece, she talks about being on Dukakis's plane as he lands and tosses a baseball on the tarmac, to show that he's a regular guy in touch with regular people, and that he's tough (as he does it in Arizona in 115-degree heat). She reports on how so many things are done just for the excuse of being covered by the traveling press corps, and of reporters willing to shill for the campaign in return for special privileges (i.e., cover things how we like them, or you get no access to the candidate). Sound like a recent election to anyone else?

The other was also interesting, in that it was largely a comment about how out-of-touch the Reagans were with everyday Americans. I find it very disheartening considering how many close ties there are in terms of Bush's out-of-touchedness in the current state of affairs. It's like hearing Pearl Jam's cover of "Masters of War" by Dylan with regard to the current Iraq war: you know it was written in a different time with a different context, but it fits so well right now.

In summation, they should fire Karl Rove already.


In other news, we have a show this Sunday night at Victory's, and it looks like we *might* have one next Friday (7/29) at Little Brother's. Moving up in the world!


And now, back to the wall.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't imagine what kind of ass would assign a book like "After Henry." You should have read "The White Album" or "Slouching Towards Bethlehem..."