Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Truer words were never spoken...

From the Akron Beacon Journal's Patrick McManamon:
The Troy Smith talk also has started. ``Should the Browns draft Smith? How can they not take Smith? Smith has to be the pick.'' Smith may indeed be the pick -- and consider the comments and pressure the Houston Texans now face given they did not take Vince Young. Really, though, the Browns don't need Smith. They probably need a guy like Joe Thomas, the 6-foot-8 offensive tackle from Wisconsin, more than they need Smith. They probably could stand to trade their pick down and take a few linemen. They probably don't need more skill players who languish because they need someone to block for them. They need to stop being the Arizona Cardinals of the Midwest; the Cardinals are loaded with skill players, but they don't win because they can't block anybody. The Browns need to start building from the inside out for a change. And that holds true perhaps even at the expense of not taking Troy Smith.

link

Thank you.

11 comments:

larzdm said...

I completely agree. However, I won't be upset if we end up with Troy... call me a homer, but we needed as much help on the lines when we drafted Edwards.

DP said...

My post was not a defense/support of Edwards. It's more to point out to everyone wearing scarlet and grey glasses that Smith isn't going to save the franchise like many (not saying you) think he would.

DP said...

And, for the record, while I wasn't sad we drafted Edwards at the time, I remember wanting to trade down and take Merriman. That would be a good looking pick right now.

larzdm said...

i know, sadly as each day passes i feel my self slipping more and more into the 'fuck it: draft Smith' camp.


i think a lot of it has to do with at least then we suck i'd have someone to actually care about rooting for.

larzdm said...

to clarify a bit: i only feel that we should (and should is still stretching it) take Smith IF Long/Branch/Thomas are off the board (assuming Long is ever on the board).

I'd rather have Smith than a Guard in round 1, and I'd rather have Smith over Lynch etc. the real question to me (assuming long/branch/thomas are gone) is Smith or AP.

and of course, all this is subject to change if Derek Anderson lights it up for the rest of the year.

lionel_kokotan said...

I would take Smith on the Browns in a heartbeat.

Although, I don't think I could use a 1st or even a 2nd round pick on him.

Talk to me after they sign some free agents, I guess.

DP said...

Oh, and I guess I should reiterate: I don't think he's a bad player, or anything like that. I just don't think he'd be all that successful on the Browns right now, given their lack of up-front protection and lack of running game.

I guess it kinda came off as me dogging on Smith. Apologies.

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping this throws a wrench in your game...the first draft polls are out and have the Browns drafting 5th or 6th and taking Ted Ginn Jr. (I'm not making this up).

larzdm said...

good lord... now even as a gigantic buckeye homer, that would piss me off.

DP said...

Who are we, the Lions?

Anonymous said...

Actually, the Browns site at http://browns.scout.com/ compares the Browns to the Cardinals. Same diff.