Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Walking in a Winter Blunderland

So, my brother and sister-in-law gave us their snow-blower for Christmas in 2005 (having moved from Nebraska to North Carolina, they didn't really need it anymore, as you can guess). Ever since that day (roughly 415 days, by my count), we haven't needed it. Even last week, there wasn't enough in our driveway or walk to merit hauling it out and firing it up.

Mother Nature decided enough was enough. I'm happy to report:





We've got about seven inches right now, and we're in the stage of the dreaded "wintery mix" (translation, sleet/freezing rain). My office left me an e-mail this morning to let me know that we were on a 2-hour delay (meaning the office was supposed to open at 10 instead of 8). I went in at my normal time, and sure enough, they closed down at 10.

If you live in the white area of this picture, it's not the best of times.



There is one upside to all of this: our crazy dog, who wants nothing to do with rain, the yard, any kind of grass, or anything that involves leaving the shelter of the house or deck when he goes outside for about 95% of the year...

He just LOVES the snow. Who knows why? Don't believe me?



Want more proof?




His first course of action is to burrow into the snow, face first. He sometimes rolls over onto his back, rolls around, kicks it up in the air, etc. He comes back inside covered in it. We can't figure it out. We have no idea what mix of breeds he is, being that Melissa found him by the side of the highway one day, but we know it's something from the artic.


In other news:
  • Show at Skully's next Wednesday night (2/21). We're opening up, so we'll be on stage somewhat earlier for a change. We're supporting Halos Were Found at the Landing Site, who are some space-rock dudes from Dayton. Should be a good show.

  • Anna Nicole's dead, drug-addled hooker that she was. The world keeps on spinning. Get over it, people. Cable news, I'm looking in your direction.

  • Way to go, Chargers! Fire your coach after going 14-2, after you've lost 5 assistants, including your two coordinators (who both got head coaching jobs, BTW, and probably would rather be coaching the Chargers, as you would probably rather have them instead of the inevitable [insert retread coach, e.g. Norv Turner, here]). Way to go! Now the Browns have two good choices to choose from next year!


I think that's it. Rock on.

4 comments:

The Kopelmans said...

Oh my gosh, I love Riley! Look at that tail wag; I'm not sure I've ever seen him so happy. Stay warm and enjoy your day off!

A. M. Mericsko said...

Yeah, plow that drive!

larzdm said...

snow blower... i'll remember that next time I spend 2 hours pointlessly shoveling my parking lot only to find that I can't drive on my street anyway.

DP said...

If it makes you feel any better, my neighbor and I spent at least an hour clearing parts of the street so people could get their cars out. Our street has never been plowed in the 3+ years I've lived here.

So, we go to the store, I'm feeling happy about being a good citizen and neighbor, and then we come home to find our street plowed and everyone's driveways plowed shut again.

Nice.