Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Big Break(?)

So, wow, I don't know where to start with this one.

I've been in my band now since roughly September or October of 2004. I played my first show with them on February 22nd of 2005. We played on a Tuesday night at the High Five club, which is a shithole south of campus. It was just Justin, John, and I. Our backing track wasn't mixed. I was wearing big doofy headphones. Who knows if we were any good? I was nervous.

Since then, we've played 33 shows all over Columbus. I've only really been nervous one other time: Little Brother's. And then, this happened:


We found out we're headlining THE NEWPORT.

This, coupled with Little Brother's, is my Columbus Band Dream. I've seen a ton of my favorite bands here (Cave In, Dada, Helmet, Built to Spill, Guster, Filter [though they sucked], Matthew Sweet, Chevelle....), and now, we're getting to play there. And, we're headlining. As in, our names are on the marquis.


Alright, enough of the drivel. Anyone and everyone that reads this blog: your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to clear your schedule on Friday night, July 21st, and get to Columbus any way you can. Come see my band AT THE FREAKIN' NEWPORT.

You won't regret it. And I will thank you thusly.

2 comments:

larzdm said...

i am so fucking there... love the newport

Unknown said...

That's fucking great - I have so many great memories of the Newport (when I was in C-bus it was the Agora). Rundgren solo, Zappa in '84 and '88, opening for Donnie Iris, Utopia and Cheap Trick ('85), Scandal and John Waite ('83).

Break a leg, old sport.