Monday, May 08, 2006

Baby Steps

Well, as amazing as the Cavs/Wizards series was (Cavs won, 4-2, with a last-second shot in overtime by the venerable Damon Jones), it's safe to say that the season is effectively over for the Cavs. It's alright. Important steps were taken: they made the playoffs, they won ugly in the playoffs, they won their first playoff series. They're just going to get bounced in the second round by the best team in the league.

After a drubbing at the hands of the Pistons on Sunday (113-86, and it wasn't even that close), the Cavs got a good measuring stick for how far they really need to go. And, also, the Pistons really are the best TEAM in the league. LeBron may be the best player, but he can't beat an entire team on his own.

Some anomolies in this game: I hope to God that the Pistons won't shoot 10-11 from 3-point range for an entire half ever again. They shot 65% as a team in the first half. No team in the NBA can withstand that.

I've made my peace. Any games the Cavs win in this series are basically gravy for me at this point. I think the Cavs will win one game, but I'd be hard-pressed to give them more than 1.


In other news, the Tribe keeps floating along... 3-2 on their mini west coast swing. Here's the stat of the day: In the Tribe's 17 wins this season, the starting pitchers have a 2.78 ERA (33 earned runs, 106 2/3 innings). In their 15 losses, they have an 8.60 ERA (71 earned runs in 74 1/3 innings).

They have three in Kansas City this week, and it would be nice to see them just crush the Royals. The Royals have the best luck, though: they get the Indians twice at home at the end of long road trips. Seems fair to me. Again, though, if the Indians can go in and lay the smack down, it would be nice momentum going into a big weekend series with the Tigers at home.


The Browns traded Trent Dilfer to San Francisco for Ken Dorsey and a draft pick. The pros: apparently, Dilfer was not the consumate pro/mentor we all thought he'd be. Apparently, he didn't like sitting at all behind a rookie. Great move. He gets a trade to SF, which is close to his hometown. Good for him. We get Ken Dorsey (he of the great college career, but no arm strength) and a seventh round pick in next year's draft.

I don't care much for Dilfer myself, but I'd still rather have him than Dorsey, in terms of veteran experience. At any rate, Dorsey has said all of the right things since the trade (i.e., works hard, doesn't care about backing up Frye, etc.), but you'll pardon me if I say I've already heard those. Plus, that means that Ken Dorsey is a knee injury away from being our starting quarterback. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.


I hope to have a little more this afternoon, as I'm going to be calling Safe Auto again today. Dirty bastards.

No comments: