Thursday, September 01, 2005

Stuff Like This Makes My Blood Boil

People wonder why there are still tensions in this country between people of different races.

Exhibit A:
It turns out there are interesting semantics in journalism.

Look at the captions for this pic:
Picture 1

And now this:
Picture 2

Wow. Two different pictures. The subject(s) of each picture have just technically stolen food from a grocery store. Yet, the person of color has "looted" it whereas the white people have "found food."

Freudian slip much?


Other News

In other news, we went to see Coldplay last evening here in Columbus. I cannot say enough about how good and energetic they are. I'll refrain from the DMB-style review that I did earlier this summer, but suffice it to say that I would recommend seeing them the next time they come through your town.

Also, my first of two fantasy football drafts was held last night. It was an autodraft, which always makes me cringe, as the computer tends to always pick crappy players. At first glance, though, I have to think my team has a good shot. I'm a little thin at WR, and I'm not sure about my QBs (in fact, I HATE one of them), but at RB I am a juggernaut. Check it:

QB:
Brett Favre
Jake Plummer (I wish I had more hands.... so I could give this pick FOUR THUMBS DOWN!)

RB:
Edgerrin James
Deuce McAllister
Curtis Martin
Warrick Dunn
J.J. Arrington

WR:
Drew Bennet
Steve Smith
Joey Galloway

TE:
Jermaine Wiggins
Jason Witten

K:
David Akers
John Carney

DEF:
Carolina
Seattle

If Carolina's defense reverts to 2003/Super Bowl form, that's a solid pickup. Any one of my top four running backs could be good. My wide receivers pretty much suck, unless Drew Bennet has extended his late-season-2004 deal with Satan. At least neither of my tight ends crashed their motorcycles in the off-season. David Akers is pretty much automatic, and John Carney's probably getting cut. What scares me is that Brett Favre is NOT going to be a reliable QB, and I will UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ever start Jake Plummer as my fantasy QB. I loathe him.

Which probably means I'll be starting him by week 4.

And then he'll throw 5 INTs.

One more draft (a live draft, thankfully) next Tuesday, and then next Sunday is the Browns home opener. I'll be there bright and early getting my tailgate on.

1 comment:

larzdm said...

i knew coldplay was coming to town... i had no idea it was last night.

also, during a 1460 break, i caught some of Triv's show on 1100 (ugh).. but he was talking about the yahoo photos as well. total crap.