Monday, August 20, 2007

Suckiest Bunch of Sucks that Ever Sucked: The Redux

I'm pretty sure I've used that blog title before in reference to the Browns, so forgive me for plagiarising myself (and for also having now stolen something from myself that I had already previously stolen from the Simpsons, which is where I steal most of my good material anyway...).

Some thoughts after watching Browns JV Football on Saturday:
  • I’m now very sold on Antwan Peek. He and Wimbley combined have been the bright spot on an otherwise crap-tacular defense. McGinnest can take his time coming back, if he likes. Peek might have been a FA bargain.

  • So long, Derek Anderson. Better get that resume ready. You had me until the "2-burned-timeout, 2-penalty, 1 interception from first and goal at the 2" part of your second drive. Fumbling on the first snap of the fucking game didn’t help, either. When Ken Dorsey makes you look like a chump, it might be time to re-evaluate where you are in life.

  • Speaking of getting one’s resume ready, if I were Andra Davis, I’d be looking over my shoulder early and often. Leon Williams may be closer than he appears in the rear-view mirror.

  • Give Jamal Lewis the ball more. The way our QBs are playing, it’s the only way the offense has a chance. I say this knowing that he’ll probably break down in week 10.

  • While it was nice to see Quinn play well, I’m pretty sure I could have completed one or two of those. Like Terry Pluto pointed out, both Tim Couch and Luke McCown had awesome second-half rallies in the pre-season, once upon a time. I would like to see Quinn get some time with/against starters at some point, possibly this week. He did throw a couple of nice balls, and despite some super-soft coverage was always throwing to the right guy and putting the ball in a spot where our guy and only our guy could catch it. That’s more than I can say for the other bum QBs we have. I hold fast to my feeling that he should start coming out of the bye week. Let Frye get pummeled the first few games.

  • Is it time to seriously consider getting a new kicker? I mean, I like kickoffs to the 9 yard line and missed 35 yard field goals as much as the next guy, but...

  • Our defensive line still looks soft. And doughy.

  • I want to like the coaches. Crennell seems like a nice enough guy. But, I’m tired of reading quotes like: "We didn't have the concentration or the focus that we needed." That’s all on you, Romeo. Further, when Leigh Bodden tweaks his ankle in the SECOND PRE-SEASON GAME, under no circumstances should he ever go back into the game. Put some ice on it and hit the stationary bike, for the love of God. Stuff like that ALL reflects back (poorly, I might add) on the coaching staff, which in turn all falls at the feet of Romeo.

  • On a humorous note, I enjoyed (just a little bit) seeing the Browns’ #20 getting run over by TJ Duckett. I could have sworn Earl Little was back out there getting flattened by Duce Staley in Pittsburgh. I’m sure he graded out at 96 and deserves to go to the Pro Bowl, wherever he might be.

All in all, a very disappointing game to watch, Quinn’s first performance notwithstanding. My prediction of 6-10 is now down to 4-12, with us crying in our beers on draft day 2008 as playoff-bound Dallas picks a stud at the #4 pick using our first-rounder.

But, really, why should draft day 2008 be any different than any other disappointment as a Browns fan?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere that by week 5, Romeo will be flipping a coin to decide to step down or be fired. He's a terrible gameday coach, he allows a completely uninspired offense to fester, and like you said, any focus problems on the part of players is nothing but pilot error.

Fire RC, put Grantham in as interim, and wait for Cowher to unretire so we can hire him. Sure it's a bit of a nuclear option, but what else do we really have to look forward to if these games are any indication? I guess Saturday'll be more of a dress rehearsal...