Monday, August 27, 2007

I simply can't allow myself to get my hopes up

Damn you, Browns. There, I've said it. As you can tell from my previous post about last week's pre-season game, I don't give the Browns much chance this year.

So, what do they do? They go on the road in the pre-season game with probably the most meaning (relative term, of course) of the four--the so-called "dress rehearsal" where the starters usually play well into the 3rd quarter--and play pretty well.

I just can't allow myself to get my hopes up. I just can't do it.

Some highlights:
  • Whence came this offense? All three quarterbacks looked semi-decent on Saturday. Frye all but clinched an opening day start by directing an opening 80-yard touchdown drive. Included in the drive were a nice 13-yard scramble on third down to pick up a first, and a very very nice fade pass to Braylon Edwards over his shoulder.

  • The offensive line hasn't been a liability so far. That's all I'm willing to say at this point.

  • Ok, I said it jokingly last week, but... I now hate Phil Dawson. ANOTHER missed field goal. It's getting to the point of being inexcusable.

  • Brady Quinn, you're beginning to make a believer out of me. A nice, nice drive against the Broncos' first team defense (and with our second team O-line and running back) that ended with a beautiful touch pass to Jurevicius in the end zone that was in the perfect spot, but was ruled incomplete because the ref didn't think he got his feet in (on replay, I think it merited a challenge, but we'll get to that later on). Another drive after a turnover resulted in a touchdown. I didn't see any badly thrown balls (one drop). Plus, you got your d-bag hair cut (albeit, involuntarily in an apparent hazing ritual). It now solidifies in my mind that Frye starts until the bye week, and then Quinn starts.

  • Great question on the PD's "Hey Tony" bit: Hey, Tony: When will Brady Quinn master fumbles, interceptions, false starts, illegal procedures, delays of game and wasting timeouts so he can join the starting unit? Priceless.

  • Where the hell is our run defense?

  • I touched on the whole coaching thing last week, and while the team generally looked better prepared and focused this week, there are a couple of things I don't get. You're willing to try going for it on 4th and 2 (I assume, I guess, because it's preseason), but you're not willing to challenge the ruling on Jurevicius's catch in the end zone? To me, the goal-post angle showed that he poked his right toe down after catching the ball and the other angle showed his left foot in bounds. Isn't that worth a challenge?? It was a beatiful, back-breaking play. Instead, not even a whimper and we settle instead for a missed field goal.

All in all, though, it was definitely a more inspiring performance, and while probably not a strong indicator of seasonal success, it certainly filled me with hope that the Browns can be more competitive, if not win more games.

At least until someone blows a knee out.

No comments: