Friday, January 05, 2007

Biding our time...

Ladies and gentlemen, the new coach of your 2008 Cleveland Browns:

Cowher is leaving the Steelers.

As most of you probably know, I pretty much HATE all things Steelers. And that remains true. With that having been said, though, I have nothing but RESPECT for Cowher, for the way he runs his team(s), for the way he gets the most out of every single one of his players, for the way he surrounds himself with good coaches. Say what you want about jerk-wad Steelers fans and their jerk-wad players, you can't deny that they play hard every week, and that to a man each of them would run through a wall for coach Cowher. The Browns desperately need that attitude, both from their coach and from their players. Crennel has built a respectable foundation for a 3-4 defense, the same that Cowher loves. The Browns are a few pieces away from where they need to be to really compete, and Cowher is definitely one of those pieces.

And, plus, after today, Cowher won't be a Steeler anymore. He got his start in coaching with Cleveland, and here's one Browns fan hoping he takes the year off, recharges his batteries, and comes back to his roots in 2008.

Keep the seat warm for him, Romeo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll try to warm up to him in the next year. I can echo your respect sentiments, but still somehow hate the guy. :)

DP said...

Well, there is that whole "spittle on the chin" thing that drives me bat-shit, but when I see clips of "The Drive" game and see him in Browns coaching gear all fired up with the special teams after they pinned the Broncos at the 2 yard-line, it makes me think it wouldn't be that hard to warm up to him again.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't established enough in my sports knowledge at a wee age 8 (and a girl at that!), and haven't dared watch the replays. Maybe I should! If only he could shave that chin away...

larzdm said...

nothing would make me happier... my steeler buddy at work wanted to kill me when i even suggested that it would happen though.

lionel_kokotan said...

Pass.

First, it took the dude a really long time to win a Super Bowl. He isn't going to get that long of a leash in Cleveland.

Second, the list of coaches that even made it to the Super Bowl with more than one team is exceedingly short, let alone guys that have won it with two different teams.

Third, he can fuck himself.

Fourth, I think if the Steelers have the same personnel and only a different coach the past 15 (or whatever) years then they have more than just 1 SB win.

Once again, pass.