Friday, May 18, 2007

Wow, gee... look at the time

I know that my blog updates become formulaic (wherein I generally don't write for two weeks, and then throw together a bulleted-list-update post). I don't care. Here it is:

  • In the span of about 90 minutes Wednesday night, I went from completely sure the Cavs were going to the Eastern Conference Finals to wondering if this season will go down in history as a complete and utter failure.

  • In the span of about 18 days, I've gone from thinking the Indians were on a collision course with 103 wins, to thinking that the Indians were on a collision course with 83 wins, back to thinking that the Indians are on a collision course with 96 wins. Will the real Cleveland Indians please stand up and remain standing?

  • Jerry Falwell is gone. I struggled with writing something about his passing, but Mom always said that if you can't say something nice about a person, you shouldn't say anything at all. Not that this rule has stopped me in any way over the course of my life. Suffice it so say I am currently wondering with great and considerable curiousity where Jerry currently finds himself, and if he truly is in Heaven (or whatever you want to call it), do I myself want to end up in a place that admits complete and total bigot fuckwads (dammit, there I've gone and done it) as its members?

  • I heard something this morning about Jenna Fischer (Pam from The Office) falling down some stairs and seriously hurting herself. In an internet search for information about this (no thanks to you, CNN.com), I stumbled across her husband's (writer/director James Gunn) MySpace page. Dude is hilarious (my favorite being the caption for a picture of himself with two actors from Scooby Doo--for which he wrote the script, I believe--that reads: "Scooby-Doo Reunion! - Matt Lillard, Linda Cardellini, and Count Fucko."). I actually found that Slither was a good movie, too (you know, in a completely intentionally campy horror movie kind of way).

  • We're Fleeing to The Cleve this weekend for the wedding of one of my wife's friends, which should be an exciting and fun little weekend trip that doesn't break the bank. Add in a little stop on the way back south to see my Mom and step-father for a belated Mother's Day/Birthday cookout, and it should be an action packed weekend. We will miss our pooch, though.

  • More info on the House of Cards show next weekend: Saturday May 26th at the Newport Music Hall as part of Memorial Day Weekend Fest. We play at 9:10 in the PM, I'm told. I only have 15 tickets, of which at least 5 are spoken for. Them shits is like currency now!

  • Kid Cleveland has a great article about baseball cards, which (judging from the comment I left) made me a little nostalgic for the days when Mike DeLong and I would ride our bikes the six blocks into downtown Wooster to go to Don's Baseball Card Shop, which was also (in a major stroke of luck for us) basically next door to the only real video arcade in town (you know, back when video games only cost $.25 and arcades actually existed). Ahh, youth.

  • There's stubborn, really stubborn, and then there's our president. What is it going to take, George? The dream is over. There's a saying I once heard that when someone comes to a personal crossroads, that "it's time to fight, fuck, or hit the fence." Since the first obviously has not worked, and the second gave us your dillbag twin daughters, I'd say that pretty much narrows it down for you.

  • I have a potential piece of news that would make me very happy. I cannot yet reveal it. But, it's potentially big. Salivate, you dogs.

  • Melissa and I watched Major League again over this past weekend (it was on one of the "free" movie channels that are part of Time Warner's HD-Pack, so we got to see it uncut and without commercials--the only *real* way to enjoy it). I noticed something that I'd never noticed before in all of the times I'd watched it. The two "longshoremen" working that are repeatedly shown saying things like "These guys don't look to fuckin' good," and "you know, these guys ain't so fuckin' bad"... you remember those guys? Go back, watch it again, and tell me who the speaking longshoreman looks like. And then realize how happy I was when I confirmed on IMBD what I'd shouted as we watched it: "HOLY SHIT, THAT'S THE JANITOR FROM 'SCRUBS'!"


That's all for now. I guess. See you in another couple of weeks.

2 comments:

Becky said...

1) Cleveland sports make me sad.
2) Flee to the Cleve! It smells good there.
3) You're a Newport regular!!! Awesome.
4) News?!? Ah, the suspense. Good thing your wife is my bff. I've got my in.
5) A proud owner of Major League myself, Roni and I must now watch it ASAP. Did you know the GM (Lou) was in Grey's Anatomy this past season?!? Roni called it and I sooo didn't believe him; lost that bet. He's gotten old!

Kid Cleveland said...

Screw Fallwell. Like Penny Lane (on TBS as I type), I've sold off my catholic educational teachings for 50 bucks and a case of beer. Ol' Jerry's teachings were as ignorant as anybody.

Go Cavs.

My best friend lives in Hilliard btw. Small world.