Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Our Big Break + State of the Union Scorecard

So, tonight could be the biggest show my band has ever played. We are again headlining Little Brother's which we first did back in December. That night, we probably had 70 people there.

Well, for the show tonight, we've passed out almost 2000 free tickets all across campus and other parts of the city. Our estimate was that maybe 1 in 10 tickets would show up at the door. Even at that rate, that's at least 200 people, which in this town for a Wednesday night show, is pretty damn good.

Some semi-important people (from some bigger bands in C-bus, one of which is signed I believe), are rumored to be at this show. Godspeed, House of Cards.

On to more pressing matters:

State of the Union Address Scorecard

Number of Minutes Actually Watched: ZERO. That's right. I can't stand to watch that man speak. It makes my blood pressure rise. My wife and I consider ourselves to be steeped in traditional moral values, but I believe at one point she said, "I hate that man with every fiber of my being." And I couldn't agree more.

Best Analysis: Tim Russert. Seriously, I love Tim Russert when it comes to things like this. He seems to be the only reporter these days who doesn't lob softballs at interviewees, and his assessment last night of what will actually be done in Congress in the coming year was fair, and probably accurate. I wish Tim was in the daily White House Press Corps sometimes, because you know he wouldn't let Scott McClellan get away with a quarter of the douchey dodging answers he gives essentially every day.

Brightest Political Future: Barrack Obama. He was only on NBC for about 45 seconds to a minute after the speech, but in that minute he said more of substance than most politicos can do. "He talked about the things that I think need to be talked about. Health care, education, energy independence, but there wasn't any beef there. There didn't seem to be any serious proposals that would call America to action." No spin. Thank heavens. I think it's too early in 2008 for any Presidential aspirations, but good God, they need to get him involved in that campaign.

Number of Times I Would Punch Bill Frist in the Face, Were it Legal: Cannot be Measured by Existing Technology. Seriously. He couldn't even properly recite the bullet points on NBC's post-speech coverage without messing up.

Most Unexpected Democratic Response: Tim Kaine of Virginia. Dude's been governor for all of a month, and he's the choice for Democratic response? At first I was like, "Wha?" but then I came to like the decision. Fresh blood. That's what the Dems need. They need to parade guys like Kaine (who, as Lt. Governor of Virginia has worked with a lot of actual bipartisanship to accomplish good things in that Republican state, and who has connected with white, rural, middle-class America) and Obama (who connects with people unlike any politician I've seen other than Bill Clinton) around early and often going into the 2006 and 2008 elections. To quote Agent Smith from The Matrix: "You've had your time. It's... OUR time... now."

Best Sarcastic Canned Response: The Democrats Giving a Standing-O to Bush's Caustic Remark about Not Passing His Social Security Privatization. Seriously. Brilliant. Hearing about that makes me almost wish I'd watched the speech.

Thing I Missed Most about Not Watching the SotU Address: Ted Kennedy's Eye-Rolling. Ted's always good for at least one big sigh and one big eye-roll while on camera when Bush says something he doesn't like. Melissa and I agreed: that's the only reason we would have watched the actual speech.

All in all, I really don't know exactly what the President said, as admittedly, I didn't watch his speech. But, much like David Letterman, I have a feeling that at least 60% of what he said is crap.

6 comments:

lionel_kokotan said...

I watched the speech, not because I care all that much but out of complete boredom.

I don't understand SoTU speeches, it's a huge farce that is interrupted by standing ovations every 30 seconds.

All you really missed was Bush saying "nuculerr" about 75 times, although the standing O by the dems made me laugh.

I can't believe that rube is in charge of my country. Also, I can't believe that Alito was confirmed (I mean I believe it, but damn).

larzdm said...

I also watched out of boredom... well I was half watching anyway (splitting time with Battlestar Galactica), trying to stay informed to mock my republican coworkers this morning.

I understand the fresh meat approach with Kaine, but one of the major reasons he was elected was the flat out terrible republican candidate outed as a major bush crony (this comes from jennifer's republican family members in Virginia). I wish him nothing but success, but he looked rattled and focused too much of the speech around his state.

That being said, I like the 'there is a better way' line and theme.

I find it interesting, but not surprising, that we both have Obama's quote in our blog entries.

larzdm said...

oh, and i'll be at the show, with a guest (unless she cancels, in which case I'd still be there and in more of a drinking mood... which i imagine would be better for the band... but fuck the band... no offense.)

A. M. Mericsko said...

I watched "The L Word" last night instead of watching the speech. It was my form of civil disobedience.

lionel_kokotan said...

Keith Olbermann is great

larzdm said...

koko, that link is great.